About Us » FAQs



What is a Charter school?

Charter schools are tuition-free public schools designed to be innovative and to support families that want a different delivery model of instruction, a unique philosophical foundation or more parent involvement for their student.  By forming a strong partnership between parents, students, and teachers, charter schools are able to create an environment that's particularly tailored for the students who choose to enroll.

An environment where:
  • Teachers have the professionalism and flexibility to innovate
  • Parents participate and are involved in the learning process with their student and within the classroom
  • Students are accepted for who they and where they begin their learning journey
  • All three are held accountable for improving student's academic and social-emotional progress

How do the Programs differ? 

While they all share alignment with the State Standards, a similar philosophy, and learning activities, each program also has a specialized focus that makes them unique.   Our programs also differ in the grade levels they support, their locations, schedules, time structure, parent participation focus, and curriculum instruction format.

Where are the programs located?

SLVUSD Charter School is the name of the school. Within SLV Charter, there are various programs that were created as programs of the Charter by teachers and parents who wanted to maintain a small school feeling within each program. Each program is known by their name and can be found at one of two locations in the SLV School District, with our satellite program located in Soquel.

Quail Hollow Homeschool
Located on the Quail Hollow Campus in Ben Lomond. 

Quail Hollow Integrated Arts
Located on the Quail Hollow Campus in Ben Lomond.

Fall Creek Homeschool
Located at the Ludlow Building behind the SLV High School fields in Felton.

Coast Redwood Middle Homeschool
Located at the SLV Middle School campus, in the front of the parking lot, below the soccer field in Felton.

Coast Redwood High School
Located at the SLV High School campus, by the back parking lot near the pool, in Felton.

Nature Academy
Located in the SLV Middle School campus, adjacent to the inner quad, in Felton.

Mountain Homeschool Independent Study
Located in the Mountain Elementary School, in Soquel.

What is the teaching format for each program?

Nature Academy is the only 5-day week program that is a part of the Charter. The teachers work in collaboration with each other, with the 7th and 8th-grade students working together to master the curriculum, create and explore through various hands-on projects and activities and go on field excursions. 

For the rest of the programs the teaching is done by working as a team, a triad of parent, student, and teacher(s) working together throughout the year to support and encourage each child to progress in the proficiency of the academic State standards, as well as the Social-emotional skills, and additional individualized skills that the team determine. These skills include progress in our School-Wide Outcomes based on our Vision.

There are nearly as many ways to homeschool are there are families who choose to homeschool. This also means that, as with any teaching, homeschooling is a work in progress; it evolves and changes as you and your student learn and work together.  We help with this process by supporting parent education through our parent meetings and shared articles and other educational discussions and opportunities

How will my work be evaluated? (gr. K-12)

Your teachers will review progress documentation and work turned in to evaluate your student's progress. Other means of evaluation can include observations and discussions on content studied, written and oral exams, review of a final project or portfolio as well as the student's own self-reflection of their work and progress. High School teachers will also evaluate work done in other programs and schools and is responsible for reviewing grades and credits. Teachers will use various assessment methods to evaluate student's work and achievement of proficiency in outcomes, including leveled rubrics, blooms taxonomy, student's self-reflection. Assessment methods and tools used will be determined based on the learning objective for the course as well as the format the student chooses to show mastery.

Will I earn grades? (gr. K-12)

The majority of our programs are un-graded, with student self-reflection and a variety of formative and summative assessments supporting and helping to guide students individual progress.
Quail Hollow Homeschool, Fall Creek Homeschool, and Mountain IS students are assessed based on leveled rubrics that are evaluated by the supervising teacher and parents. QHIA and Coast Redwood Middle School are assessed based on leveled rubrics that are evaluated by the supervising teacher and parents. Nature Academy uses standards-based assessment and student self-reflection 'grading'. Coast Redwood High School issues grades. High school students may have the option to receive pass/fail credit for some classes. High school students receive transcripts and graduate with a diploma.

Why do families choose to homeschool?

Homeschooling programs allow flexibility in scheduling. For instance being able to start studies later or earlier in the day, choosing a modality or theme that interests your child, integrating more hands-on activities or field trips to teach academic skills or standards. Some families choose to participate in a charter for further parent involvement in their student's education or to focus the education in a more holistic, personalized, child-centered way. Many choose to homeschool because the traditional classroom model is not working for their child for one reason or another. Primarily choosing The Charter School means that the delivery method of instruction is different.

How does homeschooling work?

Homeschooling relies on a strong partnership between the parent, student, and teacher. We believe that it is critical that the student takes an active and central roll in the learning as soon as possible. It is to process rather than the product that we often focus on. We want the child to have an intrinsic desire to want to learn and to understand the reasons behind what they are learning.

When a family enrolls, they are assigned to a teacher who meets with the parent and student to discuss and determine what the child’s strengths are, as well as what academic areas need to be strengthened. This includes academic progression, but can also include social, emotional, life skills, habits of learning.

A semester plan is created, methods of fulfilling the plan are decided, Books and materials are chosen, program expectations for accountability are shared. We meet each student on a regular and consistent basis, we have pre/post assessments, and a monthly review of student progress every 15-25 days.

What are the expectations for a Homeschooling parent?

Meet with the teacher assigned to you and your student on a regular basis to discuss and show progress toward State Standards and personal goals, turn in attendance, progress sheets and work samples monthly. Classes and specific programs have their own expectations.

How is my Homeschooling student's yearly academics plan determined?

At the beginning of the year, you and your student will meet with your supervising teacher to determine an individualized academic plan. As a team, you will review your student's academic strengths and weaknesses on a regular basis throughout the year. Changes and modifications of the curriculum can be adjusted when a parent or teacher feels it would benefit the students learning and progress.

What are the core subject areas? (gr. K-12)

  • English
  • Mathematics
  • Science
  • History/Social Studies
  • Visual and Performing Arts
  • Physical Education/Health

As a homeschooler, how do I keep track of academic instruction? (gr. K-12)

Your attendance minutes are logged on your Weekly Progress Reports or Daily Planner. At the beginning of each semester, you sign a Master Agreement. Then you meet with your supervising teacher to set up your Personal Learning Plan. When you start working on your plan, you keep track of your learning activities on your daily log or planner. This is turned in to your supervising teacher, at least every twenty school days when you meet to review your work and assess your progress. Remember, your teacher is available to meet with you as often as either she/he or you feel is necessary in order to support keeping track of your student's academic instruction. (CA Ed Code 51747 and Title V 11703).

What is the minimum number of hours I must ‘log’ daily to be fully enrolled in Homeschool? (gr. K-12)

A “daily engagement log” (tracking each student’s daily engagement in educational activities for each day school is in session) is required by 5 CCR 11960.

Independent study is not an alternative curriculum; students must meet the same required number of instructional minutes as their peers in any school. To claim apportionment, schools must offer at least a “minimum day.” In Independent Study, a “minimum day” is based on the teacher’s determination of the time value of that work. Schools are to offer the following numbers of minutes per grade level:
  • Kindergarten: 180 minutes (EC Section 46117)
  • Grades one through three: 230 minutes (EC Section 46112)
  • Grades four through eight: 240 minutes (EC Section 46113)
  • High school: 240 minutes (EC Section 46141)
Additionally, Students in grades 1-6 must have at least 100 minutes of P.E. each 10 school days, and grades 7-12 must have at least 400 minutes each 10 school days. In Independent Study, a “minimum day” is based on the teacher’s determination of the time value of that work. Nonetheless, whatever that minimum amount of work is, it must be done on the scheduled school day for which it is claimed as attendance for ADA purposes.

Can I count the work my homeschool student does on the weekends in his/her daily planner/log? (gr. K-12)

While your student may study, work and complete their work during the weekend, for attendance purposes, it is only necessary to show course assignment work done during the traditional school days, Monday-Friday. 

What is the difference between attendance credit and academic credit? (gr. K-12)

Attendance credit generates funding for the district based on the average daily attendance (ADA) of all students in district schools. Attendance credit is based on the supervising teacher's determination of the time value of a student’s work. A student receives full attendance credit as long as he/she completes the time values of a minimum day.

Academic credit is based on the supervising teacher’s determination of the student’s mastery of course content and leads to a record of progress or promotion toward high school graduation requirements. It is possible for a student to lose attendance credit due to missed work and still receive full academic credit at the end of the semester once the course content is successfully mastered, either through make-up work or some other acceleration to meet course learning goals.

NOTE: Attainment of full attendance credit based on a minimum day will not prepare a student to graduate from high schools. For academic credit, a high school student must be assigned work equivalent to the work that classroom-based students are assigned -a full day’s worth of work or the equivalent of six hours of classroom instruction. (ISOM, Ch 8, pg 8-3)

As a homeschooler how do I show that I have mastered the core curriculum? (gr. K-12)

There are many ways to show mastery of the core curriculum. You can do any of the following: pass an exam, create a project or portfolio that shows mastery of the standards, give an oral presentation, design a multi-media presentation, map, or other research project, complete a course at another school, an online course, and work with your teacher and family to create a specific learning experience. Other options are available and are only limited by your creativity. Your supervising teacher will work with you to ensure outcome requirements for each course with class expectations and levels of proficiency.

What are the minimum requirements to graduate from SLVUSD Charter School with a diploma? (gr. 9-12)

  1. You must pass both the English and the Math section of the CAHSEE (SLVUSD Board Policy 6146.1).
  2. You may be required to complete an exit portfolio, community service project, senior exit interview or other charter school program graduation requirement as determined by your program (Charter Program Requirements).
  3. You must earn a total of 230-semester credits divided among the following subjects (SLVUSD Board Policy 6146.1):
  • Mathematics 30
    • Math 1 / Algebra- required
    • Must take three different Math courses
  • English 40
  • Science 30
    • Physical (10)
    • Biological (10)
    • Science Elective (10)
  • Social Sciences 30
    • World History (10)
    • US History (10)
    • US Government (5)
    • Economics (5)
  • Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) 20
    • Fine Arts (10)
    • Practical Arts (10)
  • PE 20
  • Electives 60
**Please note each Charter program may have different requirements for graduation portfolios, community service, and senior exit interviews. The above requirements represent the minimum requirements for graduation with a diploma. Students may be able to acquire additional credits if they choose to challenge themselves.


How can I monitor what is needed to complete in order to graduate from high school?

Your teacher will maintain a graduation check off sheet that shows all the courses and tests needed to complete each semester for grades 9-12. This sheet will be updated to include all courses and credits received from schools you may have transferred from, as well as credits from community colleges, and any ROP courses.

How many hours of work equal one credit? (gr. 9-12)

15 hours including at home or class time, with completed work assignments, equals one credit. (average 50 minutes per day x 5 x 36 weeks in school year / 10 credits)

Is it possible to receive partial credit? (gr. 9-12)

Schools must accept the partial credit of satisfactorily completed coursework. EC Section 48645.5 states:

Each public school district and county office of education shall accept for credit full or partial coursework satisfactorily completed by a pupil while attending a public school, juvenile court school, or nonpublic, nonsectarian school or agency. The coursework shall be transferred by means of the standard state transcript.

What does concurrent enrollment mean? (gr. K-12)

When you take a course at another school, or at the community college while still in high school, you are in concurrent enrollment. Concurrent enrollment means that you attend more than one school and earn credit in both schools simultaneously. Community college courses are recorded both in your high school transcript as well as in your Community college transcript. You will be beginning your official college transcript, which will follow you through your post-high school academic years. For example, if you are taking Spanish 1 at Cabrillo the credit you earn for that class can be applied to your high school transcript and also to your Cabrillo transcript. Likewise, you may take a course at SLVHS or another high school while you are enrolled in Homeschool. In this case, your credits will translate directly to your Homeschool transcript. A student may only be concurrently enrolled in another school for less than 20% of her/his annual school calendar.

If I am taking a class at another location or high school may I log it on my planner/daily log sheet? (gr. K-12)

You may count classes you attend at other public or private schools for daily instructional minutes. High school students may log classes you take at community colleges until you reach 40 credits of concurrent enrollment. You may not log hours for classes you take at community colleges after you earn 40 credits of concurrent enrollment (CA Ed Code 51747).

If I attend a class at another high school (SLVHS, a private high school), is there a limit to the number of credits I can earn toward graduation? (gr. 9-12)

Credits earned in regular high school classes within or outside our school district may translate directly between schools. There is no limit to the number of graduation credits you can earn from other high schools, including private high schools (SLVUSD Board Policy 6146.11).

You may take one core class and one elective course at SLVHS each semester. Enrollment is based on seat availability. Your supervising teacher is the person who will ensure your enrollment. In order to remain in any class, it is the student’s responsibility to maintain a grade of C- or above, adhere to the attendance and classroom expectations of the high school, and maintain good standing with the Charter school’s coursework expectations as well. In addition, you may take classes from the Regional Occupation Program (ROP) that can be entered as electives on your transcript.

If I attend classes at Cabrillo or another college, how many credits can I count towards high school graduation? (gr. 9-12)

The SLVUSD Board Policy 6146.11 limits graduation credits earned outside public or private high schools to 40. Your total credits earned in college may exceed 40, but you can only count 40 towards high school graduation.

Each community college unit is considered worth 3.3 high school credits, not to exceed 10 credits per semester course taken.

How do I count my college units toward high school graduation? (gr. 9-12)

The college course must be recorded in your semester planning sheet.
You must enroll at the college with a concurrent enrollment form (available from your supervising teacher or the Charter Office). This form needs to be signed by the Charter Administrator.
You need to turn in an official transcript from the college to the Charter office after completing the course(s). Credits will be transferred to your transcript only after the office receives the transcript.
You can count credits only from classes that you complete and pass.

May I log study time, preparation for college classes and other college preparation activities toward my daily instructional minutes? (gr. 9-12)

Yes, all educational activities that are recorded on your semester planning sheet and monitored by your teacher of record can be used towards graduation credits. After you have earned 40 credits towards high school in college classes, you may not log additional time for college classes towards your high school credits. Study time and preparation for college courses, however, may be recorded in your daily logs or planning sheets. (SLVUSD Board Policy 6416.11).

May I count Work Experience Education toward high school graduation credits? (gr. 9-12)

Yes, and SLVUSD Board Policy 6416.11 limits the total number of graduation credits for work-study to 40. No more than 10 credits of WEE can be earned in a single semester.

Supervising teachers will issue the work permit application, and the student will need to return their application to the Charter Administration for approval and submission. Your supervising teacher will also set up the curriculum requirements in order to receive credit. Non-paying jobs fall under the category of mentorships, job training, on the job experience, exploratory and vocational experiences. (Ed Code Section 51760) Students will submit their pay stubs, employment letters and recommendations and work experience curriculum to their teachers. There is no work experience for babysitting. A copy of the work permit needs to be associated with the curriculum.

May I get credit for work as a teacher's assistant? (gr. 9-12)
Yes, as a Junior or Senior you can receive up to 5 credits per semester for a class, not to exceed 20 credits over 4 years of high school. Your supervising teacher will work with you to determine documentation and expectations required in order for you to receive credits.

May I attend more than one college? (gr. 9-12)

You may attend more than one college. You may not exceed 40 concurrent enrollment credits total in college classes toward your high school diploma.

As a high school student, I am limited in the number of classes I can take in college, and I am not able to play sports on the college team. What can I do to increase my educational opportunities? (gr. 9-12)
In order to be enrolled as a full-time college student you need to be older than 16, or have a certificate of graduation equivalency by passing the CHSPE exam, or have a graduation equivalency diploma by passing the GED exam, or earn a high school diploma (CA Ed Code 48400, 48412, 76001, 76001c and 76002).

What are the requirements of the CHSPE? (gr. 9-12)

You must be 16 years old, and/or completed their first semester of 10th grade, or will have completed one academic year of enrollment in the tenth grade at the end of the semester during which the next regular administration will be conducted (CA Ed Code 48412).

Can I continue to attend SLV Charter after I pass the CHSPE? (gr. 9-12)
Yes. In fact, passing the CHSPE itself does not exempt minors from attending school (CA Ed Codes 48400, 48410 and 48412).